Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Mother's musings

I have been a mother for over 25 1/2 years. More if you count when I discovered I was pregnant. Even more if you count the young people and students I have 'mothered' since 1977. And, I think, there are more than just two people on this earth that would consider me their mother. I am proud of that. Proud that people consider me a mother, look to me for support and advice, and respect me in that 'mothering' role.
But for sure, I have two children, and forever and always I am their mother. The relationship I have with my children is amazing. It feels honest, it feels loving, it feels respectful, it feels like a two-way street without power issues or inequality.
They both come to me to share their joys, and their woes, their struggles, and their successes. I love them fiercely. So fiercely that sometimes it surprises me - even after 25 plus years it surprises me.
One is across the country continuing a life miles from home. One is sometimes home, but more often somewhere far away pursuing dreams of a 25 year old. It is as it should be.
But I miss them. They were so much of my life for so many years, and now I hold a more peripheral position, watching their lives unfold, enjoying their company, cheering them on, praying for them, admiring them, holding them ever in my heart.
If home is where the heart is, then they are both always home in me, in their father, in those that love them wherever they are.

So, to my dear son and daughter, thank you for the privilege of being your mother.
Whether it is spelled Mum, or Mom, I will answer for as long as I can, and even after that.

1 comment:

  1. Mary-Ann, that is one of the sweetest posts I have ever read. They are blessed to have such a loving mom!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.