Thursday, July 14, 2011

patience

Well, here we still are. In Omak. Another part needed. Another day delayed. I have to ask myself, why? I am sure there is a lesson in all this. Something to be learned. An encounter that must be made. A crossing of paths with someone or something. But, what?

Perhaps I won't know tomorrow, or the next day, or even on this trip at all. Perhaps it is just the lesson to take each day as it comes and to forget the what-ifs.

People have been very kind. Offering us rides into town, or telling us about good restaurants to have lunch at. Or just stopping to chat and offer the moments to pass the time.

Passing time is such an odd expression. We shouldn't pass time. We should use it wisely. We have met many people in this campsite who are only a bit older that we are (well, than Brian is), and they have had, or are having serious health issues.
Time is not to be wasted, not to be wished away.

So today I vacuumed, washed mirrors and windows, cleaned out the fridge, and washed the floor of the camper. I reorganized my clothes so I can find them more easily. I spent two hours working on some Grade 8 math questions regarding base 8, 5, 2, and 16. I read two books. We went for lunch at a lovely, kitchy Mexican restaurant. We walked into, and out of town. We made a good dinner and drank good wine. We spent time together. We didn't just pass it.

So, see? Maybe this is the lesson. It really isn't the destination, it is the journey. God willing we might be out of here tomorrow, or Saturday, or maybe not until Monday.

But, there is a reason.

I will have to spend some time figuring out what it is.

1 comment:

  1. Time, well used is a gift. "Wasting time" has always been one of my pet peeves. My aunt used to say that her favourite card game - Canasta - was a great passtime. At 10, I wondered why she wanted just to pass time. There is never enough time, why would anyone waste it. Sounds like every minute today was well used and appreciated. That's a great lesson.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.