Tuesday, September 6, 2011

And so it begins

Up at 5:30. I had a weird dream about the opening school assembly. Grade One wasn't there, the High School came in very late. My colleague's students were unruly, and I couldn't even find my class. I was trying to give my opening address, and NO ONE WAS PAYING ANY ATTENTION TO ME! This is probably the equivalent of realizing you are naked in the school hallways.

So, I am up, and looking forward to the year beginning. This is my last year - at least for some while. I have already started my list of 'What I will do when I retire'. First on list - organize my photos. I tried to find some pictures I took of the London Globe Theatre 5 years ago, and I had to look in four places before I got lucky. And, when I got lucky I found a whole basket of unfiled photos. Oops! But, I digress.

So, today I will stand in front of 13 students in this my 13th year of teaching at this school. Coincidence? I don't think so!

And as far as my resolve, I think I will have to let faculty know what I am up to, or not up to, as the case may be. There have been a few uncomfortable moments as I deflect gossip or unkind comments. Really sometimes we are no better than those teenagers. Sigh

But, the school looks beautful, my room looks beautiful, and even my board drawing looks beautiful (Globe Theatre, no less). Soon it will be filled with beautiful thirteen and fourteen year olds. (and no, that is not an oxymoron).

Wish me luck! I am off....

1 comment:

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.