Monday, January 2, 2012

Memories are made of this

It has been a glorious Christmas holiday. My girl was home for 3 1/2 weeks, my boy home as much as his busy work life allowed. The important thing we were all together on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

On Christmas Eve the three of us entertained my husband for quite some time playing Christmas carols in three parts on our recorders. There was ALOT of laughter, and some of the carols did end up sounding quite good. My son accompanied me to the Christmas Eve midnight service. This has become our tradition over the past many years. We go to the Christmas Carol sing a long before the service and he sits beside me singing all the tenor parts, while I attempt some of the descant. It is a magical evening in a little tiny church in North Vancouver.

Christmas morning was filled with wrapping paper and laughter and profound feelings of gratefulness to be altogether. And then a lovely drive to the valley for Christmas dinner with sisters and brothers, brother-in-laws, nephews and great-nephews, and two jack russels!

On the 30th another family dinner, my little house full to bursting so nieces and nephews and great-nieces and great-nephews could re-connect. It was a spectacular evening and the food (even the brussel sprouts) was amazingly good. I have been eating turkey sandwiches, at least two a day, since then.

And then to New Year's Eve. Just my husband, daughter and I at home playing scrabble and bananagrams and toasting in 2012. With wine, and of course, turkey sandwiches!

New Year's dinner was a wonderful Indian feast prepared by my son, daughter and I - mussels and prawns, spinach and home-made paneer, gluten-free beer, and love, warmth and candlelight around a little table. I am so blessed.

And now? Now the house is quiet. Everyone has gone out to do errands, or go to work, or see friends. I am here, blogging these memories. Memories of a family I love so deeply that my heart aches with it. It is a good ache.

I know there are people in my life that do not have such luxuries. I know I am truly blessed.

Tomorrow my girl flies home to her life across this large country. I already miss her. But this has been an amazing three weeks, weeks where her father and she got to talk and talk and talk. It has been just so perfect.

And you know what? I am not afraid of the other shoe dropping. Because nothing can take these three weeks away from me. Nothing.

So here is to 2012. May our dreams lead us, but not confine us. May our hopes inspire us, but not fetter us. May our love for each other be the one true abiding feeling for the future.

1 comment:

  1. Scrabble and Bananagrams - sounds perfect! BTW, anytime you feel like cooking up a feast like that again, call me! You cook, I'll eat!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.