Tuesday, August 21, 2012

This is it!

Tomorrow is really the first day of my retirement. If I hadn't retired in June then I would be returning to teaching tomorrow. That is the day all my former colleagues have to be back on campus having meetings and preparing for the new year.

But not me. Not this August.

I am sitting in my camper, about to get ready for bed and spend some time under the covers with a book, or maybe a crossword, or maybe I will just drift off listening to the radio. So many choices.

I was looking through an agenda book from August 2010 and two years ago I was camping in PEI with my husband. Now in August 2012 my daughter is in PEI attending a conference, my son is farming in the Yukon, and my husband is across from me listening to a podcast or punk music or a youtube.

It is peaceful. We puttered around today. Did laundry, a bit of shopping, made supper, tidied up the camper...things like that. It wasn't much of anything. It was everything

We are lucky. I know this. Even though my feet hurt alot (plantar fasciitis), I know that I am lucky. I have a man who is rubbing my sore feet, and telling me he loves me.

We are lucky.

So, tomorrow it begins.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

2 comments:

  1. I was at a gathering with a bunch of staff members last week. They were all confirming dates for when the school will be open for redressing the bulletin boards and organizing the desks. And the welcome back to the new year speaker that the board does every year. And I'm not part of it, and it's such a sense of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhh retirement sounds good on you Mary-Anne! xo

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.