Tuesday, April 7, 2015

F is for First Day and Fables



The very first lesson in Grade One in a Waldorf School is about Straight and Curved. We talk about the world around them and how it is made up of straight and curved lines. That's it. Straight and Curved.

And then the first drawing they make in their first Grade One main lesson book is depicted on this quilted square. The boy who made this square was the one who showed us, on that first day, how to walk a straight line and a curved line. He remembered.

F is for Fables




In Grade Two the theme is Animal and Saints. They learn many of Aesop's fables. That year I wrote them all a verse on their birthday inspired by a fable. This was the verse I wrote for my birthday:

A fox spied some grapes
hanging tempting, too high.
He could not reach them
Despite try after try.
They are probably sour grapes,
I bet.
For any fool can despise
What he can not get.


4 comments:

  1. Another two lovely squares on that quilt and stories to go with them. I remember reading Aesop's Fables as a child, I loved them. I thought your poem was brilliant too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I am proud of the poems I wrote when I was a teacher - one day I will publish them.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet idea, to write them a verse for their birthdays... I used to write letters to mine before their final exams ... Not the uni kids, though... They would have totally freaked out if they suspected I was human

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe not. maybe uni kids need to see their teacher's humanity.

      Delete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.