Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Sign of the Times

I made a decision to post everyday during Advent, but the odd thing is I don't feel like I have anything to say.  

Weird.  

I have said before that when I am feeling well, both mentally and physically then my words seem to abandon me.  

So, let's talk about Prince!

On Monday I went to a tribute concert for Prince put on by the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra.   
I went with an ex-student of mine who is 19, her mom, who is 47 and yours truly, who is 62.  

So there we were - three generations - all singing along to Prince songs.  

His musicsreally does have meaning for so many generations, and I believe generations to come. 

His song Sign of the Times was written in 1987, but it could have been written today.  

That made me sad that our human condition hasn't improved but on the other hand I was impressed that a song written thirty years ago could still have such relevance.  

Prince once said that he believed one day in the future there would be no black or white, but that we would all be a lovely light brown.   I think he felt the same way about gender roles.  

“One thing I’d like to say is that I don’t live in a prison. I am not afraid of anything. I haven’t built any walls around myself, and I am just like anyone else. I need love and water.”

So, since Monday night I have been reflecting on the world Prince envisioned. 

I have been listening to his songs and re-reading his lyrics. 

And missing him.  

If we could just love each other and find our common ground.

Maybe then there could be peace.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.